Archive for September, 2019

Bobridge fires for SA in cycling

By admin | 苏州美甲

Jack Bobridge made a brief and impressive return to track cycling on Thursday as SA continued their domination of the team pursuit at the Australian championships.

南宁桑拿

He combined with fellow London Games silver medallist Glenn O’Shea and rising stars Alex Edmondson and Luke Davison to catch NSW in the final on day two of the championships.

SA clocked three minutes 58.387 seconds to win the 4000m team pursuit Australian title for the fifth straight year.

A second-string SA team also beat WA for the bronze medal.

Bobridge has made an encouraging start to this year, finishing fifth earlier this month at the road nationals.

It follows a lean period in his professional road career, which included a switch from Orica-GreenEDGE to Dutch team Belkin a year ago.

“I’ve got him back on the track so he could find his mojo a little bit more, have a bit more fun and get back to winning bike races,” said national track endurance coach Tim Decker.

“That’s what he does; that’s what he loves.

“The last couple of years, it’s been tough.

“That was a test for me, to bring him in … and it worked pretty well.”

But after this week’s nationals, Bobridge will return full-time to road racing and will not ride at the late-February world track titles in Colombia.

“His road team, obviously they pay the bills and we don’t have the budget to pay the bills for him, which is a big shame,” Decker said.

“If we could get a road team to support his track ambitions, that would be fantastic and we’d welcome him back with open arms, for sure.

“He’s grown up a lot now, he’s more mature and I think he could bring something back to this team.”

Also on Thursday, SA’s Stephanie Morton upset strong favourite Anna Meares to qualify fastest in the women’s sprint.

Morton clocked 11.180 seconds for the flying 200m and Meares was second in 11.214.

Meares is training through the nationals in the lead-up to the worlds.

Morton and Meares breezed through the opening rounds of match racing ahead of Friday’s semi-finals and finals.

Tasmanian Amy Cure won her first senior national title when she qualified fastest and beat reigning champion Annette Edmondson (SA) in the 3000m individual pursuit.

Melissa Hoskins (WA) beat Ashlee Ankudinoff in the bronze medal ride.

In men’s sprint qualifying, Matthew Glaetzer set an Australian championship record of 9.901 seconds to qualify fastest.

He was the only rider to go under 10 seconds.

SA also won the under-19 men’s team pursuit, while Korean Jeone Park won the under-19 men’s sprint.

Victorian Courtney Field won the under-19 women’s keirin.

Starc ready to fire says Maddinson

By admin | 苏州美甲

Nic Maddinson says his Sydney Sixers teammate Mitchell Starc is primed to finally make his return to elite cricket after being diagnosed with a stress fracture of the back in September.

南宁桑拿

Starc last played in the controversial drawn fifth Test at The Oval in late August and is set for a comeback in the Sixers’ Big Bash League semi-final against the Perth Scorchers at the SCG on Wednesday.

The 24-year-old Starc is in Australia’s Twenty20 squad and could play in Sunday’s third match against England on Sunday but he will definitely play for the Sixers as they chase down a vital Champions League spot.

“Mitch is going well; he is looking good for his return,” Maddinson said on Thursday.

“We have had a few centre wicket practice sessions and the odd net session and he has been impressive.

“He is bowling well, he is bowling quick and he is swinging the ball so hopefully he is going to be out on the park really soon because he looks ready.”

Scorchers quick Pat Cummins is another on the comeback trail after finally returning in their win over the Adelaide Strikers last week.

“That will be interesting,” Maddinson said.

“I faced him a year ago and he shattered one of my bats … he didn’t like a late cut I hit off him so he decided to ramp it up again.

“Hopefully he is not back to that pace but I think his pace is a big asset for Perth.

“Anyone of his calibre coming back into their side is a massive plus for them.”

Perth beat Sydney in the competition’s first ‘super over’ at the SCG during the regular rounds and Maddinson said the Sixers were keen for revenge with the added lure of a Champions League spot on the line for both BBL finalists.

“This is a massive game for us. If we can win that, getting to play overseas in that Champions League is a real test.

“So that is where we would like to get to but first we have Wednesday’s game and hopefully a final after that,” Maddinson said.

Salvo dismissed amid more abuse evidence

By admin | 苏州美甲

A man, now a miner, was so distraught by memories of what had happened to him at a Salvation Army boys home in Sydney that he could not read his evidence at a royal commission inquiry.

南宁桑拿

When he took the stand at a public hearing into child sexual abuse on Thursday, the man identified as FV, faltered as he told about hearing his younger brother was raped.

They had been sent to the Bexley Boys Home in Sydney south in 1974 when Captain Lawrence Wilson was in charge and placed in different dormitories.

In evidence read on his behalf by Simeon Beckett counsel assisting the commission, FV said he was raped by Cpt Wilson and a few weeks later was collected by a man and woman and taken to a house in Punchbowl, Sydney.

The couple were in Salvation Army uniforms and the big woman “had short blond hair and looked to be in her 30s”.

At Punchbowl the couple tried to force him to have sex. He ran away and got a train back to Bexley where Captain Wilson was waiting and gave him 18 stripes with a cane and told him “they were good people I sent you to”.

Twice more during his time at Bexley he was sent to people’s homes, once to a property in Blacktown, and another time to the house of two women.

FV resumed his evidence to tell the commission how his experiences at Bexley affected him.

“The sexual attacks on myself are the hardest things to deal with, one day you are a boy the next you are a shell walking around,” he said.

He was savagely attacked by Mr Wilson one day for laughing.

“One thing I will never forget was the day Wilson dragged me along the hall, caned me and then bashed me like a bulldog tearing apart a rag doll,” he said.

He said Bexley made him tough but he still has nightmares so intense he cannot get back to sleep.

NSW police could not find enough evidence in 1998 to charge Mr Wilson with running a pedophile ring.

Wilson died in 2008 the same year the Salvation Army reported allegations against him, related to the time he was at Bexley and in Queensland.

The public inquiry is focusing on four homes run by The Salvation Army in the 60s and 70s, two in NSW and two in Queensland.

Many allegations are about five officers, including Wilson. The others are Victor Bennett who died in 1986, Donald Schultz dismissed in 2005 and John McIver who was still an officer up to Thursday when the Salvation Army suspended him.

In a statement they said the suspension was in light of evidence at the commission.

Over the past few days the commission has heard that Mr McIver, now in his mid-70s, physically and sexually abused children at Bexley in NSW and at Indooroopilly in Queensland where he was a manager.

It is alleged that Mr McIver whipped one boy at Bexley until he developed welts and was bleeding.

He then allegedly fondled his genitals before threatening the boy he would “beat the life” out of him if he told anyone.

Plisson looks to lift France in 6 Nations

By admin | 苏州美甲

Five-eighth Jules Plisson will make his France debut in Saturday’s Six Nations rugby opener against England in Paris.

南宁桑拿

Plisson, 22, will be partnered at halfback by Jean-Marc Doussain of Toulouse, while his Stade Francais teammate Alexandre Flanquart is preferred to Yoann Maestri in the second row.

Having been in outstanding form at club level, Plisson will look to lift a French side that struggled in 2013, losing eight of 11 matches.

Along with Doussain, who is also 22, they will form the 10th different halves’ pairing in 22 matches under coach Philippe Saint-Andre.

In the team announced by Saint-Andre on Thursday, they were preferred to Maxime Machenaud of Racing Metro, who will be on the bench, and Francois Trinh-Duc, who was named in the squad in place of injured Remi Tales but does not make the matchday 23.

“Jules Plisson is young but he already has a good array of talents, in terms of style, technique and strategy. He will play in the ‘crunch’ and he will need to start well,” said Saint-Andre.

Of his decision to select Flanquart, the coach added: “It is the second row that plays together all year at Stade Francais. We have brought together an experienced player with another who is very strong in the air with his touches, lay-offs.

“We will need that against the English.”

Stade Francais lock Pascal Pape will captain Les Bleus in the absence of the injured flanker Thierry Dusautoir.

Saint-Andre admitted that starting their campaign against England will give France an early indication of how far they can go in this season’s Six Nations, although he was quick to dismiss any notion that they should be considered favourites.

“A win would give us a lot of confidence and instil plenty of positivity in the group, but a defeat could spoil the Six Nations.

“The first international match often sets the tempo for your season. We know that because last year we had a defeat in Italy (23-18) and then we had a difficult year.

“You can’t be the favourites when you finished last in the 2013 Six Nations! We are outsiders. The favourites are the Welsh and the English.

“We are just going to concentrate on Saturday’s match and try to have a much better 2014 than 2013.”

France (15-1):

Brice Dulin; Yoann Huget, Mathieu Bastareaud, Wesley Fofana, Maxime Medard; Jules Plisson, Jean-Marc Doussain; Bernard Le Roux, Louis Picamoles, Yannick Nyanga; Pascal Pape (capt), Alexandre Flanquart; Nicolas Mas, Benjamin Kayser, Thomas Domingo. Res: Dimitri Szarzewski; Yannick Forestier; Rabah Slimani; Yoann Maestri; Antoine Burban; Damien Chouly; Maxime Machenaud; Gael Fickou.

England debutants for Six Nations rugby

By admin | 苏州美甲

England are set to give debuts to winger Jack Nowell and centre Luther Burrell in their Six Nations rugby opener on Saturday against France in Paris.

南宁桑拿

Both backs were named in the starting XV announced by coach Stuart Lancaster on Thursday, with Exeter’s Nowell called up following injuries to Christian Wade and Marland Yarde and the loss of form of Chris Ashton.

Burrell has impressed for Northampton this season and, with the powerful Manu Tuilagi set to be sidelined for the whole Six Nations, he was included ahead of the fit-again Brad Barritt, who is on the bench.

Gloucester winger Jonny May is in line for only his second cap, and first Six Nations start, after debuting against Argentina last year.

But halfback Danny Care, a 42-Test veteran, returns to the starting XV for the first time since playing against Italy in last season’s Six Nations.

Fullback Mike Brown, five-eighth Owen Farrell and inside centre Billy Twelvetrees will look to guide the rookies alongside them.

“Congratulations to Jack and Luther who deserve their chance, as does Jonny starting his first Six Nations game,” Lancaster said in a Rugby Football Union (RFU) statement.

“It’s also great to see Brad back in the 23 with his experience and leadership,” added Lancaster, looking for the team to go one better than the two runners-up finishes in his two previous Six Nations as England coach.

Care, Farrell and Brown have 81 caps between them, but there are only nine Test appearances between the rest of England’s backs while, on the bench, there is a lack of a specialist replacement for Farrell, with Saracens fullback Alex Goode set to cover several positions.

While England’s back division has an unfamiliar look, the same eight forwards who starred in a 30-22 defeat by world champions New Zealand at Twickenham in November have been retained for the Stade de France clash.

“We felt the pack went well in the autumn and it’s right to leave it unchanged,” Lancaster said.

“But we have some quality players to come on off the bench, including two British and Irish Lions in (hooker) Tom Youngs and (prop) Mako Vunipola.

“We can’t wait for Saturday. We’ve had a good two weeks and all the players have pushed hard for selection.”

Winger Anthony Watson, No.10 George Ford and prop Matt Mullan will travel to Paris with the squad as additional cover.

England, again captained by flanker Chris Robshaw, have won their two previous Tests against France under Lancaster.

England (15-1):

Mike Brown; Jack Nowell, Luther Burrell, Billy Twelvetrees, Jonny May; Owen Farrell, Danny Care; Billy Vunipola, Chris Robshaw (capt), Tom Wood; Courtney Lawes, Joe Launchbury; Dan Cole, Dylan Hartley, Joe Marler. Res: Tom Youngs, Mako Vunipola, Henry Thomas, Dave Attwood, Ben Morgan, Lee Dickson, Brad Barritt, Alex Goode.